We have selected a list of top rated remodeling contractors in Stamford CT and surroundings. Hopefully, this will help you make the best choice for all your home remodeling needs.
For residential remodeling and commercial renovations, hiring the right remodeling contractor can make your remodeling project less stressful, event pleasant. Knowing what to expect before starting any project will help you get ready for the process.
Questions to Ask When Choosing a Home Remodeling Company
- Are you licensed? Do you have insurance? This will protect both you and the workers.
- Ask for customers’ testimonials and if you can speak with a few of them. This will help you establish trust and feel less nervous about bringing a stranger in your home.
- How long have you been in business and how long have you been working with your sub-contractors? This will establish a level of professionalism, expertise and reputation (no good sub-contractors will work with a non-reputable remodeling contractor for very long).
- Will you obtain the permits and set up the inspections required for the job? Since most, but not all remodeling projects will need inspections and permits, you should make sure that the contractor you hire will know all the requirements needed and how to get them. Ask him if he will be willing to do it for you.
- Will I get a written contract? You need to know the payment schedule and how will be the change of orders handled. You have to make sure that the contractor will complete your final punch list before your final payment. If a contractor doesn’t want a contract, move on.
Choosing a quality home remodeling contractor isn’t the most fun part of any home remodeling project, but it is an important one. Whether you are planning a kitchen remodel or bathroom renovation, adding a new room, a deck or pergola you need to take the time to do some research.
You need your project to go smoothly and you deserve your dream end result. Therefore, you must take the time to find the right home remodeling company for your specific home remodel project.
Beware of Scams
The Better Business Bureau have some handy tips for spotting a disreputable contractor [source: BBB Blog]. The contractor:
- solicits business by going door to door
- prefers that you pay in cash
- pressures you into making a quick decision
- requests that you pay for the entire job upfront
- has the “perfect” lender for you (which often leads to home improvement loan scams)